What is Image-Guided Pain Management?Image-Guided Pain Management provides an advanced form of treatment which is extremely safe for the relief of your pain. Pain conditions
such as back pain, sore joints and arthritic pain, are very common and can appear in all age groups. The options to find relief are
always improving and there are solutions available to help provide a reprieve from pain. Image-Guided Pain
Management procedures at Sunshine Coast Radiology are minimally invasive and offer you less recovery time and risk than most surgical
options. Our treatments are particularly effective for arthritis, persistent joint pain and soft tissue inflammation. They are also
very effective for many types of spine and neck pain and some types of musculoskeletal pain. Depending on the source of the pain, Image
Guided Pain Management techniques may be used to diagnose, deliver pain relief, or, in some cases, treat the underlying cause while
providing pain relief.
Who performs the procedures?Our highly trained and fully accredited Radiologists perform these procedures in our clinics across the Sunshine Coast. During our
Image-Guided Pain Management procedures, our Radiologists uses fluoroscopic or ultrasound guidance to inject
a fine needle into the affected area. These injections deliver powerful medications directly to the area that is the source of the
pain and thus are usually much more effective. In some instances, you may experience immediate temporary pain relief from the
local anaesthetic. However, usually when the Pain Management procedure is successful you can expect to feel relief within days, with
the full effect occurring in a few weeks.
What are the Benefits?
Pain may be alleviated faster than other traditional methods and oral medications.
- They also can be used to diagnose the site of pain
- It can help control pain to allow you to initiate physical therapy or exercise
- It may delay or eliminate surgical intervention
- There are no large incisions to heal
- Infection rates are significantly lower than with open surgery
Am I a good candidate for this treatment?
You may benefit procedures if you have found only limited relief from typical treatments. You may also benefit if:
- You have tried a number of alternatives to relieve your pain without success.
- Have inflammatory pain, such as joint pain or muscular pain.
- You have found only limited relief from physiotherapy, massage or other methods.
- Are currently on a waiting list for surgical procedures, such as a knee or hip replacement.
- Have pain that does not seem to subside and would like a consultation.
Treatment areas include:
- Wrists and thumbs
Do I need a GP referral?Yes. If you are experiencing pain the first step to see your GP for a referral to us at Sunshine Coast Radiology. Our specialist healthcare
team in Image-Guided Pain Management will work towards the relief of your pain. We provide consultation and Image Guided Pain Management
Image-Guided Pain Management Procedures
At Sunshine Coast Radiology we perform many interventional procedures including:
- CT guided Facet joint blocks
- CT guided Nerve root blocks
- CT guided Epidural Injection
- Plural and Peritoneal Taps
- Intrathecal injections
- Fine needle aspirations and more.